Friday, June 15, 2012

Corn allergy warning: Red Star Yeast.

I would find it difficult to name the exact number of reliable, delicious bread recipes that I have posted to this site. (Click here if you want to see them all.)
However, I have not been eating homemade bread for several weeks due to my injury (I've been eating Ezekiel bread: site here) and my digestion has improved (hardly any nausea! despite high levels of pain meds) plus I do not have as many hives.
Pre-injury, I asked my husband to buy another package of Red Star Yeast at Costco since I thought ours might be aging in the fridge or somehow fermenting and therefore causing my indigestion.

My husband just noticed sorbitan monostearate (Cue the alarm bells! sorbit-anything usually means corn and I am CONSTANTLY REACTING to anything containing SORBITOL) on the ingredient list of our yeast.


So we went to their site and found this information about this ingredient, under their FAQs:
"Sorbitan monostearate is an emulsifier. This material coats yeast cells and protects the cells from damage by oxygen and assists in the rehydration of the yeast.

Sorbitan monostearate is a mixture of partial stearic and palmitic acid esters of sorbitol and its mono- and dianhydrides. Source of the sorbitol in the sorbitan monostearate is unknown, however it is plant and may or may not be corn. Allergens are typically part of the protein structure of the organism, however the process used to produce sorbitol eliminates the plant protein.

Sorbitan monostearate is not considered an allergen. It is listed in the FDA GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) list of ingredients for use in food products. Sorbitan monostearate is Kosher.

RED STAR® and bakipan® Active Dry Yeast packets in a strip of three ¼-ounce packets does not contain sorbitan monostearate. It is pure yeast. "

Uh, wow. So --either this ingredient has always been there and I was always unwell from my own breads and pizza dough, OR they could have changed sources recently and I never would have known.

We have ALWAYS considered this yeast to be safe, since Fleischmanns is grown ON CORN and Red Star is not, according to several corn-free sites.

This means I will need to try baking out of the packet strips, not this giant package from Costco.

Consider yourselves warned, fellow corn warriors. Hope I helped somebody.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    Was this the large container of yeast or the small individual packets? I don't use yeast however, per many discussions on the Delphi Forum, it is my understanding that the large containers of yeast are corny to preserve the large amount of yeast while the individual packets (usually available in a three pack) do not contain that ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the large thing. that's the problem; I should be using the small packets. thank you!

      Delete
  2. You helped me! I was wondering why my homemade pizza and bread started making me sick. I recently started using yeast from the jar instead of packets.

    ReplyDelete